Ok, I know it's a really bad pun, but I have been waiting to use it since I found out about the chemo treatments! So just bear with me & my pun! :)
Don't get me wrong, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to use it...they told me about 2 weeks from 1st Chemo treatment would be the time when my hair would fall out - well I passed two weeks last Wed. - no hair falling, so I thought...maybe I'll be that 5% that doesn't lose their hair! BUT...Saturday night I was sitting on the couch & ran my fingers through my hair (I had been doing that for a couple of weeks...with no fall-out), but Saturday night - ran my fingers through & when I pulled them away from my head, I also pulled away about 20 hairs...ooops... :(
well, I didn't dodge that bullet!
So I decided that I would have Sara come over tonight (Monday) and shave my head...just get it over with, so I wouldn't end up looking like a dog with mange! :)
So that's what we did...Sara brought reinforcements - her friend Lizzy who has gone through two bouts of Chemo & has lost her hair twice! She is such a beautiful girl & I am grateful now to call her my friend, too.
We took pictures to document everything & here they are along with a running dialog of what was happening...look closely at the bald woman...none of you will see her again.
If I was young & beautiful like Lizzy, I could probably get away with the Sinead O'Connor look...but I think I'm a little old for that look now...although I will admit that I agree with the girls, that I do have a pretty good looking bald head...I was just hoping that I didn't have one of those creepy, wrinkled alien looking bald heads. Turns out I don't...
Here I am ~ me with hair...
It was really falling out in the back, but the side was getting thinner, too & I didn't have that much to begin with!...
Cutting the first layer...
The process - one side cut - the other still there...
With just bangs left...
Maybe I'll go for this look, when my hair comes back...
Now to start with the clippers...
The last little bit...
Almost done...
Hair is starting to pile up...
Just the back left...
Finishing up...
Now for the conditioner - Lizzy said it's easier to shave with conditioner, rather than shaving cream...
A conditioner happy face...
Nice head massage..
Rub it in...
That GI Jane look...
Harder than it looks... for the barber & for the customer... :)
Lizzy helps out around the tough areas...
Clean off the conditioner...
My hair is now trash...
And my new look...
Feels weird...
I LOVE that man!!!
Bald may be beautiful, but... I would rather have hair...
My sweet family...(well - at least 2 of them) I would bet that most customers don't get kissed on the head by their barber! :)
and Sara brought gifts...cute little hats for me...
Steve is checking out my new "rocker" look...
and a beautiful scarf. Once the hair was off, Lizzy showed me how to wrap the scarf...
And my barber's beautiful helper and photographer...
Well, that's a look into a hair today...gone tomorrow...day.
This is not the path I would have chosen, of course, but it is the path I am on right now.
I am loved by a wonderful family, have great friends who care for Steve & I - who send cards, gifts, bring food & PRAY for us everyday. I feel that God will give me more than I could ever hope for, from this journey...a closer walk with Him, a deeper meaning to my life, more energy & stamina to be able to do His work...whatever He has planned for me. I am eager to start, once the Chemo is done & I have my strength back. There are several places that I feel I will be needed, that God has laid these directions on my heart.
"The word holy means "to be set apart". You have been set apart for God - to both imitate and represent Him. As you faithfully do so, He is able to teach you more deeply, empower you more mightily and shine through you more brightly." (Moments of Peace for the Morning- June 21)
"Wait patiently with Me while I bless you. Don't rush into My Presence with time-consciousness gnawing at your mind. Though you are a time-bound creature, seek to meet Me in timelessness. As you focus on My Presence, the demands of time and tasks will diminish. I will bless you and keep you, making My Face shine upon you graciously, giving you Peace." (Jesus Calling - June 21)
Long process - this "beating cancer" business, but I am told to be patient...hard to do sometimes, but I kind of think the ending will outweigh the process, in the long run. ;)
I pray that each one of you that reads this today, no matter what problems you are going through, no matter where your life is right now...will know that God has a plan for you, just like He does for me. I hope that you find your path to peace...it is an interesting journey.
Post script:
I just went back into the blog to edit a small thing on one paragraph & as I closed it out - this is what came up opposite "view blog" ~
***************************************
I Stopped My Hair Loss
I pray that each one of you that reads this today, no matter what problems you are going through, no matter where your life is right now...will know that God has a plan for you, just like He does for me. I hope that you find your path to peace...it is an interesting journey.
Post script:
I just went back into the blog to edit a small thing on one paragraph & as I closed it out - this is what came up opposite "view blog" ~
***************************************
I Stopped My Hair Loss
I spent thousands on hair growth then I found this $39 solution...
naturalwellbeing.com/hair-growth
*****************************************
*****************************************
I guess I should have looked into this before I shaved my head!! LOL - See ~ God does have a sense of humor! :)
i love that you documented all of this ... what a treasure! love you and your sweet family. :)
ReplyDelete