Tuesday, August 2, 2011

8/2/11 - A New Me From Head to Toes and Update From Dr. Visit on 8/3/11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain."
Tuesday, August 1-

On Friday, we are to have pictures taken for the Church Directory. I didn't want my photo in this directory to be with me wearing one of my scarves ~ (I did not want people 25 years from now looking at this directory & remembering that was the summer of my bout with cancer - and yes...I still have the directory with the picture we had made - before Sara was born...so yes...people do keep them that long!), so I had to go in search of a wig that would work. 

Several friends have brought some for me to borrow, but I have found that the scarves work well for me & have not needed the wigs, plus the ones that I have been given were not really "me". So yesterday my sweet daughter took off work to help me in this quest & then we were getting pedicures, but more on that later.

We went to the Cancer Society office on Meridian. I was hoping to find one there, but have had others tell me that they didn't have a very good selection, not many blond wigs, so I was not confident that we would find one. Our alternative plan was to go to Norman - the Norman hospital has put in a new "store" for cancer patients, that is run mostly by volunteers that are cancer survivors. They have wigs & other things and all is free, just like the place here on Meridian (The place here in OKC will also help with insurance problems, etc. which I did not know until yesterday...also good to know).

So we go to the office & walk in...and they take us to the back room where the wigs are...Now my plan was to try on several - have fun with them...have Sara take pictures of all the different styles/colors that I tried on (I was hoping for a "Cher" look ~ for one of them :) and then see if they actually had one that would work for me (my hopes weren't very high about that). 

Well. we walk into the room & the first one that Sara & I both spot is almost my color...almost my length AND the part is even on the correct side!! Needless to say...I totally forgot about trying on others...I was fixated on this one...couldn't believe that it was so close to my actual hair...so...unfortunately, we do not have the wig style show that I was hoping for. Sorry. Neither of us thought about it, until we had already left the office. :(

But we do have photos of the wig I picked out to use for the directory pics on Friday. I probably won't wear it any other time, since they are so hot, plus the scarves work great for me.




It does need a little trim on the bangs & the length, but I was very happy with our selection and also with the fact that we didn't have to drive all the way to Norman. A friend of Sara's works there, too, which made it even better. They were very helpful & friendly and it made the whole experience much nicer. They also gave me a tip on using a cut off t-shirt as a scarf. It's a great idea & something I will try soon.

Then it was off to the mall for lunch and then a pedicure - get it? "a new me from head to toes". :)

Here is the reason for the pedicure...when I first got sick, a sweet friend of Sara's - Abby Jeffers sent me a get well card with a hand drawn "gift card" inside ~ for a pedicure, whenever I felt up to it. Abby is one of God's special angels here on earth... at the time that she sent me the card, she was taking care of a dear friend of her's, who was close to my age, who also had cancer. Abby was traveling with her for treatments & living in her house with her family and spending pretty much all her time with this sweet friend. A couple of months ago, her friend Jackie went to sleep & woke up with Jesus. I know Abby & Jackie's family are still grieving the loss of this wonderful woman, but during the time that she was giving all her energy to Jackie & her family, she still had time to think of me...draw this sweet gift card and give Sara money for my pedicure.


So yesterday we got those pedicures...Sara had me get the "deluxe" pedicure, which was wonderful...I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it!! A long, wonderful - foot & leg massage, pretty pink toenail polish and time spent with my daughter. A perfect day! 







So THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Abby...it was the best gift you could have given me. AND...THANK YOU! THANK YOU! to Sara for taking off work, for driving me to get the wig, to the mall for lunch & pedicures and for driving me to get my other errands done. It was a great day!!

I am new from head to toes!
**************************************************
Now for new info about the treatments, etc:

I went last Wed. for a CT scan. Dr. Parker said that would be enough for him to tell how things were going. He will do a PET Scan, when he thinks we are all finished.

I do not know the results of the CT scan yet, but have a Dr. appt with him in the morning at 10:00 and then am scheduled for 4th Chemo treatment right after that (if all goes well with my white blood count and we are able to do the 4th treatment). So we will find out in the morning what the CT scan showed & possibly how many more treatments I will have to have.

I will tell you...I am nervous. God gave me a promise, early on, that all would be well with me & I would come out of this whole & healthy, but the longer the treatments continue, the fewer "good" days I have. I know in my heart that He is faithful, but my mind & body (and I'm sure - the "great deceiver") sometime deceive me into believing that I will not get well. I call on the name of Jesus when these times come & I have peace again, but they rear their ugly heads over & over again. 
But God continues to answer my prayers through His Word & this is what I read this morning: 
"God is not like people, who lie; He is not a human, who changes his mind. Whatever He promises, He does; He speaks and it is done." Numbers 23:19

And a couple of days ago I read this, which I have read & said, hundreds of times, but this interpretation  really caught my mind:

"The Lord is my shepherd; 
I have everything I need. 
He lets me rest in green meadows;
He leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to His name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest,
Anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love
will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever." Psalm 23:1-6

Please pray for the Dr. Appt. tomorrow ~ that we will receive good news about the CT scan, that my white count is up, so I can have treatment, that the treatment goes well and that I will be finished with these soon.


UPDATE ~   Wednesday 8/3 - Good news & Bad News from the Dr. visit


Well, we got good news & bad news. Bad news is that my white cell count was down to 800 (lowest it has been), so he wants me to wait a week & try to do chemo then. He thinks if we wait a week, my body will kind of boost itself back up, since I will have been off the chemo for a month. Good news is the lymph nodes are shrinking! The largest ones are shrinking & the smaller ones have not changed (which is good, I guess - since they haven't gotten bigger). He was happy with the report. BUT, he thinks we will have to do 8 total ~ instead of 6, like I was hoping for. If we have to do more, he will do some changes to my chemo drugs, but he seems hopeful that 8 will be enough. Whatever we have to do, I am thankful for good report today & thankful for prayers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment